Donor: Department for International Development (DFID)
Application procedure: Concept Note, Online Application
Donor base: United Kingdom
Reference number: -
Eligible applicants: Non-Profit Organisation
Deadline: 30.06.2020

Financial details

Grant size: Large - more than $1,000,000
Minimum grant size: 250.000GBP
Total available budget: -
Funding type: Grants
Maximum grant size: 4.000.000GBP
Funding ratio: up to 75%


  • Agriculture & Rural Development
  • Children & Youth
  • Climate Change
  • Covid-19
  • Economic Development
  • Education
  • Energy
  • Food Security
  • Governance & Democracy
  • Health
  • Peace & Conflict Resolution
  • Social Inclusion
  • Water & Sanitation
  • Women & Gender

Project Locations

  1. Africa

      Angola, Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe

  2. America

      Haiti, Venezuela

  3. Asia

      Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Iraq, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Yemen

  4. Pacific

      Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands


1) Objective

UK Aid Direct is a challenge fund designed to support the UK’s commitments to achieving the Global Goals. The aim is to fund small- and medium-sized national and international civil society organisations (CSOs) to reduce poverty and work towards achieving the Global Goals. Specifically, UK Aid Direct funding reaches the most marginalised and vulnerable populations, supporting the DFID agenda to ‘leave no one behind’. During this round, applicants should consider how projects will directly tackle poverty and respond to one or more of the four UK Department for International Development (DFID) strategic objectives: (1) strengthening global peace, security and governance; (2) strengthening resilience and response to crisis; (3) promoting global prosperity; and (4) tackling extreme poverty and helping the world’s most vulnerable and (5) addressing the immediate and underlying causes of malnutrition among children under 5 years and adolescent girls and women of reproductive age.

UK Aid Direct will work towards these priorities by supporting approaches that will: (1) develop and use partnerships to promote greater accountability; (2) demonstrate partnerships with youth as agents and advocates for change; (3) strengthen the ability of existing and new advocacy actors to enable decision makers to be held to account; (4) improve access, supply and quality of basic services; (5) show positive behavior change in targeted groups as a result of the interventions; (6) demonstrate increased opportunities for economic empowerment through job creation, income generation and improving market access; and (7) strengthen the response to conflict and local-level crisis to improve resilience in fragile and conflict-affected states.

2) Eligibility

This call is open to applications from medium sized, non-governmental organisations that are registered as a not-for-profit organisation in the UK or in one of the countries that DFID considers to be of high or moderate fragility. The applicant organisation must have an average income of less than £10m per annum for the past 3 years. Applicants are also encouraged to apply as a consortium.

3) Location

Actions must take place in one of the lowest 50 countries in the UN Human Development Index (HDI) or in one of the countries that DFID considers to be of high or moderate fragility.

4) Budget

Applicants can apply for funding of between £250,000 and £4,000,000 per application. DFID will provide up to 75% of the total project costs. Your organisation or consortium must secure the remaining 25% (or more), either from your own resources or from another external source but excluding all other DFID funds. The project duration is from between 3 to 5 years, proposals for 3+ years must be supported by a compelling case for longer duration.

5) Application

All concept notes must be submitted online. Applications sent via email or post will not be accepted. The next application deadline is 30 June 2020.

Login Account

Already a Rubnio Customer?

Invaild email address.

6 or more characters, letters and numbers. Must contain at least one number.

Your information will nerver be shared with any third party.